God demonstrates the fact that He is for little people in choosing:
- A teen age girl from a humble village to become the mother of Jesus.
- A dozen laboring men to turn the world upside down.
- A lowly prostitute to assist in Israel’s conquest, thereby becoming part of Christ’s lineage (Rahab – Matt. 1:5).
Why then are we so enamored with the rich, the beautiful, the influential, and the famous? Answer: Because being associated with these people bolsters our ego — feeds our PRIDE.
Paul and Jeremiah remind us:
- “…Do not aspire to eminence, but willingly adjust yourselves to humble situations…” (Rom. 12:16b – Berkeley Translation)
- “Are you seeking great things for yourself? Do not seek them…” (Jer. 45:5)
Jesus, the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe+, chose the modest career of a carpenter. Not exactly the strategy for becoming part of Jerusalem’s powerful elite.
By His humble choices, He was “…despised and forsaken of men……like One from whom men hide their face…and we did not esteem Him.” (Isa. 53:3)
Isn’t it ironic that most of us could not recall the name of the wealthiest person in the world, but we could readily name a Yugoslavian nun who feeds, clothes and houses Calcutta’s dying poor.
So, if we are in hot pursuit of the world’s “Big People”, perhaps our goals are too small!
My prayer is that you are having a great week!Views: 35