In last weeks Facts we discussed the realities of our post modern world of eroding absolutes, and put forth two of six principles from Richard Fosters Renovare to help you victoriously live out Kingdom values: 1
1. Contemplation The prayer-filled life: Focuses upon intimacy with God and depth of spirituality. This spiritual dimension addresses the longing for a deeper, more vital Christian experience.
2. Holiness The virtuous life: Focuses upon personal moral transformation and the power to develop "holy habits." This spiritual dimension addresses the erosion of moral fiber in personal and social life.
3. Charismatic The Spirit-empowered life: Focuses upon the charisms of the Spirit and worship. This spiritual dimension addresses the yearning for the immediacy of God's presence among his people.
Be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts (Eph. 5:18b-19). (See Act. 2:42; Gal. 5:22-25; Eph. 5:18, 19; Heb. 10: 24, 25)
QUESTION: Are you part of a vital community of believers who are mutually committed to growing in Christlikenes, through the spiritual disciplines, fellowship, accountability and encouragement?
4. Social Justice The compassionate life: Focuses upon justice and shalom in all human relationships and social structures. This spiritual dimension addresses the gospel imperative for equity and compassion among all peoples.
But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever flowing stream (Amo. 5:24). (See Job 29:12-17; Pro. 21:3; Hos. 6:6; Amo. 5:14, 15; Mic. 6:8)
QUESTION: Are you aware of the social injustice in your midst? Are you prayerfully asking God what responsibility you have to influence change?
5. Evangelical The word-centered life: Focuses upon the proclamation of the evangel, the good news of the gospel. This spiritual dimension addresses the need for people to see the good news lived and hear the good news proclaimed. (See Col. 1:28, 29; 1 Thes. 2:7; Heb. 10:24; 1 Pet. 2:12; 3:15)
"I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die" (Jn. 11:25-27).
QUESTION: Are you becoming skilled in offering the message of the Gospel in a manner that the unconvinced can understand and respond to?
6. Incarnational The sacramental life: Focuses upon making present and visible the realm of the invisible spirit. This spiritual dimension addresses the crying need to experience God as truly manifest and notoriously active in daily life. (See Matt. 5:13, 16; 2 Cor. 5:19, 20; Eph 3:8; Col. 1:27)
We have this treasure in earthen vessels (2 Cor. 4:7).
QUESTION Are you, by your Christ-honoring life creating spiritual hunger and thirst for God among your lost associates?
1 For further amplification of these foci, read Streams of Living Water by Richard J. FosterViews: 185