In the last two Facts we covered the following points with Kevin after he fell: (1) You are a child of God. His grace and forgiveness are yours to appropriate now. (2) It was your pride that brought you down, (3) You underestimated Satans power, and (4) You failed to fight Satan with Gods spiritual armor. We then covered the first of six powerful truths available to Kevin to insure future victory when the temptation or trial hits: 1. Develop a deep relationship with Christ.
2. Understand the importance of the Holy Spirit in empowering you to not succumb to Satans seduction and the pull of your flesh: Live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful natureBecause through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and deathin order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace (Gal. 5:16; Rom. 8:2b, 4 6)
3. Understand the essential role of the word of God in overcoming temptation: How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against youTo the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (Ps. 119:9, 11; Jn. 8:31, 32)
4. Understand the path that leads to sin as pointed out in James 1:12-15:
– Persevere under the trial (Literally: Adversity, testing, temptation): Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial (vs. 1:12a)
– Recognize there are rewards for those who dont give in to their trails or temptations: Because when he has stood the test (Literally: Purified as metal tested by fire) he will receive the crown of life (Literally: His eternal reward) (vs. 1:12b)
– Dont blame God when you are tested (As did Adam: The woman you put here with me – she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it – Gen. 3:12) The Scriptures instruct us, When tempted, no one should say, God is tempting me. For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone (vs. 1:13).
– Recognize that it is your lust that entices you: [A person] is being solicited to sin when he is taken in tow and enticed by his own craving. Then when the aforementioned craving has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and this sin when it is full grown brings forth death (Jms. 1:15b Wuest). (See Gen. 3:1-6; Josh. 7:21; 2 Sam. 11)
We will conclude our discussion in next weeks Facts.
This week, may you experience His grace, peace, and protection.
R. Dwight Hill