A couple of years ago over breakfast, Darrell, a new believer, mentioned that he and his wife were planning on an abortion. Their lives were extremely fast-paced and complex and another child simply did not fit into the equation. So I took out the Scriptures and urged him to view the issue from God’s perspective:+
- Unborn babies are called “children,” the same word used of infants and young children (Lk. 1:41, 44; 2:12, 16; Ex. 21:22), and sometimes even of adults (1Kin. 3:17)
- The unborn are created by God (Psa. 139:13) just as God created Adam and Eve in his image (Gen. 1:27)
- The life of the unborn is protected by the same punishment for injury or death (Ex. 21:22) as that of an adult (Gen. 9:6).
- Christ was human (the God-man) from the point he was conceived in Mary’s womb (Mt. 1:20-21; Lk. 1:26-27)
- The image of God includes “male and female” (Gen 1:27), but it is a scientific fact that maleness or femaleness (sex) is determined at the moment of conception.
- Unborn children possess personal characteristics such as sin (Psa. 51:5) and joy that are distinctive of humans.
- Personal pronouns are used to describe unborn children (Jer. 1:5; Mt. 1:20-21) just as any other human being.
- The unborn are said to be known intimately and personally by God as he would know any other person (Ps. 139:15-16; Jer. 1:5).
- The unborn are even called by God before birth (Gen. 25:22-23; Judg. 13:2-7; Isa. 49:1; Gal. 1:15)
I am happy to say that they took the advice and today are enjoying a lovely little girl in their home. Again and again they have expressed how tragic it would have been to abort that fetus.
My prayer is that you are having a great week!