As I write, we are observing a world wobbling on its shaky foundation. Families are crumbling, and values from our Country’s inception are disintegrating before our eyes. What to do?
Well, one thing that is unchanging is our faithful God. This I know from 62 years of personal experience in walking with Him. And I know it from the Scriptures:
- God can be trusted : “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?…Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands” (Num. 23:19; Deut 7:9). (See Ex.34:6, 7; Psa. 100:5)
- God’s love is unchanging : “ I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging; but I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness…Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (Psa. 89:32, 33; Lam. 3:22,23).
- God’s word is enduring : “ Your word, O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens…I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished” (Psa. 119:89; Matt. 5:18).
- God secures our eternal destiny : “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand…God Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you down (relax My hold on you)! Assuredly not” (Jn. 10:28, 29; Heb. 13:5b – Amp.). (See I Jn. 5:11-13)
A.W. Tozer, makes these profound observations concerning God’s faithfulness : 1
- God being who He is cannot cease to be what He is . God cannot act out of character with Himself. He is at once faithful and immutable (unchanging). He cannot be compelled from without, but ever speaks and acts from within Himself by His own sovereign will as it pleases Him. Upon God’s faithfulness rests our whole hope of future blessing.
- Only as He is faithful will His covenants stand and His promise be honored . Only as we have complete assurance that He is faithful will we live in peace and look forward with assurance to the life to come.
CONCLUSION : Tozer’s word of encouragement for the weary soul : The tempted, the anxious, the fearful, the discouraged may all find new hope and good cheer in the knowledge that our heavenly Father is faithful. He will ever be true to His pledged word. The hard-pressed sons of the covenant may be sure that He will never remove His loving-kindness from them nor suffer His faithfulness to fail.
This week, may you experience His grace, peace, and protection.
R. Dwight Hill
1A. W. Tozer,The Knowledge of the Holy– Harper and Row, Publishers, 1961,pages 78 – 85Views: 86