“It is God’s will that you…should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins…” (I Thes. 4:3-6a)
Here are some principles, thoughts and observations adapted from the pen of Dr. Jerry White,
- Sexual sin is always generated in the mind before it is acted out in the body. Thus, to guard one’s thoughts is absolutely indispensable.
- A struggling marriage is never an excuse for sexual sin.
- A widower, divorced person or sexually-experienced person will likely have more temptation, mainly due to knowledge.
- Following are common threads and characteristic of men who have fallen into sexual impurity:
- The macho image and a sense of dominance.
- A perceived failure in one’s job or a blow to one’s ego or pride.
- A feeling of being “above the rules.”
- Going easy on one’s self…in many areas like diet or exercise.
- Carelessly allowing one’s self to be in places or situations that boost temptation.
- Roving and undisciplined dyes
- Accountability is a major key to prevention, but even with it one who wants to sin sexually will find a way to lie, deceive others and himself to avoid the truth.
- Regardless of spiritual maturity, age or the best of marriages, everyone is vulnerable to sexual sin.
“No garden ‘suddenly overgrows’ with thorns…No marriage suddenly ‘breaks down’…No person suddenly ‘becomes base.’ Slowly, almost imperceptibly, certain things are accepted that once were rejected. Things once considered hurtful are now secretly tolerated. At the outset it appears harmless, perhaps even exciting, but the wedge it brings leaves a gap that grows wider as moral erosion joins hands with spiritual decay. The gap becomes a canyon. That ‘way which seems right’ becomes, in fact, ‘the way of death…”+
QUESTION: In the deepest recesses of your secret life, how are you really doing? Are you going it alone?
My prayer is that you are having a great week!